Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sexy in Chicago: Team Sex Bob-Omb's First WCQ Event

Now that the weekend is over and I'm back home, nestled in my couch with a steaming hot cup of tea, I can look back fondly on the first World Championship Qualifier. The weekend was hectic, but I met all kinds of great people and had a blast hanging out with my friends and playing Vanguard. Though I didn't get very far in the main event, I can definitely count this as one of the best card game events I have ever been to, and I can't wait for the next one.

Day One: Dear Lord, Fuck Traffic

The plan was for the rest of the team to pick me up around 4 PM so that we could hit the hotel (we were staying in the Mariott where the event took place) around 5. Unfortunately, as anyone can tell you, Chicago traffic is a bitch and a half. They showed up around 6, and we didn't hit the hotel until 8. I got all kinds of shit for causing what amounted to a 4-hour detour on the trip, but at least we made it. After getting our room keys and meeting up with some of Scott's friends from Cinci, we broke out our decks and did a few rounds of playtesting. It was during this time that Wallace Wells made a change that would go on to help him top 8 the next day, but more on that later.

The day culminated with a quick trip to target. There would be no breaks during the tournament, so we needed to get snacks and drinks for the next day to ensure that we didn't die of starvation. A couple more rounds of playtesting followed that, just to figure out our nightly records. Scott and Wallace ended up with the best records, so they scored a bed for the night, leaving myself and Young Neil on the ground. Oddly enough, it wasn't THAT uncomfortable, but maybe it was because I was dead tired.

Day Two: In Which Strawhat Luffy Makes Top 8

We woke up around 8 in the morning or so and had a quick breakfast composed of our purchases from the previous night. Around 9, we made our way downstairs to join the gigantic and still growing pre-registration line. However, the staff knew what they were doing and, as soon as the doors opened, we were moving through the line at a pretty steady clip. I gotta hand it to Bushiroad, they really know how to make an event run smoothly.

The goodie bags we got contained a sample DVD with the first 4 dubbed episodes of the series, as well as a manga that contained the first 4 chapters. In addition, we received the WCQ Deckbox and a cardboard box that can fit 3 deckboxes inside of it. It looks freaking sweet, by the way. There was also a purple pen inside mine, which I was told to keep on me at all times. It proved to be a fair warning, as no other pens would be provided during the event, and they were VERY important.

We all sat down and began to write out our decklists. I was relieved to see that both Wells and Scott were in A Block while I was in B. That meant that they might end up knocking each other out before we even played, a prospect that pleased me greatly. Filling out decklists was a chore, as you needed to write the full name of the Unit as well as the full set number and rarity of the card, and there was very limited space to do so. Especially since my handwriting looks god awful on a good day and is illegible on most. There was also a slot for you to name your deck, and we all tried to have some fun with that. Really, though, Wells was the only one with a good name. ("Tom of your Life" still gets a chuckle from me.)

We got our lists done early, and we checked out the vendors after that. They had a nice selection of sleeves and singles, and I spent my cash on more than a few items there. Scott bought a single BT01 pack and, in his usual show of sackiness, ripped a Wyvern Guard, Barri. I chose to spend my cash on sleeves, grabbing a set of Kiriel and MLB sleeves for myself and Little Witch, Lulu for Wells as an early Christmas gift.

Round 1 began shortly after that, so I bid my friends adieu and walked over to the end of the room where B Block was to take place. We all waited as the judges called out names and numbers that determined where you would be sitting, and I took my place when I was called.

My first opponent for the round had a very familiar name, and a pit formed in my stomach when I saw his face and confirmed my suspicions. Right off the bat, I was paired up against Brandon Smith, the guy who had taken it all at WCQ Toronto. I felt an odd mixture of rage and fear as they went over the rules for the event. How dare he come to another event after getting his invite? Especially because that's the only prize for the event. But, rage would not help me now, especially because matches were best of one. I needed to focus. Anger could fester forever, but round 1 was about to start.

The cry of "Stand up the Vanguard!" rang out through the hall as round 1 began, and I confirmed my suspicions that Brandon was still running the Spectral Duke deck that he'd used to dominate Toronto. Unfortunately, I had gotten in 0 Practice against good Spectral Duke decks prior to the tournament, so I didn't know how to react to the full ride chain. Brandon handed me my can swiftly, and round 1 ended with me having my first loss.

Brandon was a nice guy, though, and complimented me on my deck as well as thanking me for giving him "a fair shot" against Dudley Emperor. Much as I want to, I really can't fault the guy for playing again. And, honestly, it was nice to play against the closest thing to a living celebrity we have in the Vanguard Community right now. Still, I felt dejected at my loss, especially because Scott and Wells both won their first rounds. (On a side note, to the guy next to me who was running Tachikaze/Megacolony, I salute you for having brass balls the size of Texas.)

Young Neil had also lost round 1, so we were both one round away from calling it quits for the day, and there was no way in hell I was losing in Round 2. As I reached my seat, I was determined to win this next round, if only for my pride. My opponent was running Lawkeeper Kagero, but unfortunately saw next to no 10000 shields that game. I peppered him with attacks until he was forced to give in, and my Spike Brothers walked away with a win.

Round 3 was against a Royal Paladin deck, and was probably the least fun match I had that day. The guy was extremely unfriendly, and would often spend time reading my cards multiple times to make sure "I wasn't screwing him." In addition, he shuffled cards in his hand annoyingly during the entirety of my turn, and I needed to force him to say things like "No guard" when I declared my attacks, otherwise he'd just stare at me with a half-interested glazed-over look. When his 6th Damage was revealed, he quickly packed up his stuff, ripped off his ID badge, and stormed off. Dude didn't even wait for the judge or accept my handshake. Frankly, I'm glad that was the only dickcheese I ran into that day. 

Scott suffered his first loss in Round 3, and Young Neil finally got knocked out during a mirror match by deck out. So at least I wouldn't be the first one to lose it all today. Unfortunately, I did not know that the next round would be my last...

Round 4 was against Ergodiel Angel Feather, and it told me a lot about the weaknesses of my deck and myself as a player. Ultimately, I misplayed at a crucial moment. We were both at 5 damage, and I had the choice to grab either 2 Juggernauts or a Juggs and an Intercept with my Emperor's skill. I grabbed the 2 juggs and lost because of it. Had I grabbed a Fierce Leader, Zachary, I would have been able to survive the turn and hit him for game. It caused me to really think about how I was playing Spike Brothers, and I decided to tweak my deck after the fact.

Either way, I was out. Scott made it to top 16, while Wells made it to top 8 (barely). Unfortunately, his deck was the only OTT that didn't make it to top 4, but we still celebrated. I had a lot of fun doing the free play event and wrecking face with my Nubatama/Kagero, as well as just chatting it up with others. I also managed to get some stuff for my as-of-yet incomplete Pale Moons. After Wells got knocked out and I got my Sphere Magus, we all headed out to get some Pizza, since Mini-Wheats and Townhouse crackers can only fill you up so far.

After loading up on food, we returned to our hotel room and rounded out the day by watching Cowboy Bebop until we passed out. It was a fantastic weekend spent with some of my best friends, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Props:
-Wallace Wells/Brandon Chimel/Luffy: Not only did he have an epic hat, but he was the only one of us to top 8, and he did it with one of the most fusterclucked decks I have ever seen. Kudos to you, bro. You earned it.
- The Judge Staff: There were, like, 12 of you guys and 200 of us, and the event still ran smooth as silk. No one ever appreciates the work you guys put in, but we did, and we love you for volunteering.
- That Guy Sitting Next To Me in Round 1: Dude, you ran a Megacolony/Tachikaze hybrid. You deserved to win based on the sheer percentage of your body mass that was pure testosterone.
- Brandon Basienelli: For winning the whole thing and kicking Wells' ass despite sitting on Gigantech Charger most of the game.
- The Mariott: For Hosting the Event.

Slops:
-That guy who was a total dick to the Judges: You know who you are. You lost to Brandon Bastienelli in Top 16 and didn't make the cut. But instead of talking it over calmly, you started bitching at the judges and being utterly disrespectful. Frankly, you don't deserve top cut.
- My round 3 Opponent: Way to discard common courtesy over a loss, dickbag. Is returning a simple handshake really too much effort for you?
- The Mariott: For not having free internet or a minifridge in our room. Fuck you.

Thanks for reading, guys. As always, this is Stephen Stills from Team Sex Bob-Omb, reminding you to stay in school and stay away from drugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment