Monday, September 24, 2012

Chicago Regionals: Having the Tom of my Life

Hello everyone, I am Brandon, known here as Wallace Wells, and as some people from Chicago know me, "Straw Hat", and its a pleasure to be here with my team mate Still's.

God, introductions are awkward?

This weekend was probably one of the best times I have ever had, and I have only a few complaints, but overall I had fun, and I somehow got top 8! (I apologize in advance, my ego is on over drive a bit from this)

But my awkward intro aside, lets get to the tournament report.

Day One: The Battle For the Beds


So after doing my only class for the day on Friday i get home quickly, I pack up the last of my belongings that I did not the night before, such as my decks (I never am content with my deck, I am always changing things up to the last second, thursday night I was still trying to figure out what to do) , I got some snacks, and I grabbed my two good luck charms: my core drill (if you know of this, you rule) and my (now) signature Straw Hat.

My teammate and his friend soon arrived, about an hour earlier than I expected, so I scrambled to get fully ready so we could leave.

After telling my dad goodbye, and saying good bye to my two dogs we got on our way to Chicago from Ohio, it went pretty well until we actually got to Chicago.

There we learned fresh air was just a story, and that the ability to go 30 miles in less than 2 hours was a fairy tale. (No Still's, I still am not forgiving you)

About 7 or 8 we finally arrived at the hotel, and god was it wonderful to be out of a car. We went in and instantly saw people playtesting, and ran into one of Scott's friends.

After we disappointingly learned that wifi was 10 dollars a night (rip off!) we were forced to skip Skyping with Scott's girlfriend, and I wanted to skype with the girl I had a crush on, but I guess that wasnt gonna happen. So after a quick unpacking we all grabbed our decks and went down to the lobby to play everyone, tonight was the night to playtest. On the line was the rights to get a bed for the night, and I was determined to win.

I had played one round against Scott, and I managed to beat him over all, which was damn amazing because he is a sacky sacker and always destroys us. So i was feeling good, except for the fact I felt a confirmation of what I had been suspecting all along: I didnt have enough power in the deck.

My Full Moon deck was one built around utility, it searched, sifted, set up combos, and allowed me to know essentially where almost every card in the deck was, but it was weak. I could not hit well without boosters.

So I made a change that I think was one of the reasons I top 8'ed. I switched in a pair of Battle Sister, Mocha.

As the night went on I won against everyone, except Scott took a win against me, and I managed to deck out against Young Neil by not thinking to start using the recycling effect of Lozenge Magus to add enough deck space to survive.

In the end Scott and I won our places on the bed, and after and hour or two of heated debates over cartoons we all hit the hay, we had a big day tomorrow.

The Tournament


As Still's described we got down to the line, which was rather large, at 8:30ish , however by 9 we got to the main room, and by about 9:10 I would say we ended up with our amazing goody bags and we were registered.

I was in block C, Scott and Young Neil were in block A (it was them Stills, not me and Scott) , and Stills was in block D.

After the horrible task of writing out our decklist (My deck gave me carpal tunnel) we were soon set up and put at our tables, ready to begin round 1.
I was paired with a younger kid, obviously new to this game, and he was obviously out of it already, talking himself down, and this led to a situation that I think helped me get so far: A good attitude. Going into this I didnt expect to go far, but I was just ready to have fun, see my weaknesses, and meet some cool people, maybe get in some trades (Though this last part never happened) , and when this kid started talking so seriously about how it was going to go bad, god help me, I could only laugh and point out, "Who cared?" because I didnt expect to go far, I was not even focused on winning (dont get me wrong, I always try my best, but I would be fine losing) I just wanted to enjoy myself. This whole situation in the first few minutes put me in a great mood and made me ready for the whole day. 

Soon the head judge gave us the announcement, "To keep with the anime, we ask you bear with us and just this once join us in saying 'stand up the vanguard!' on three, you dont have to do it any other time", and so at the end of the count we had a roaring cry from everyone there, "STAND UP, THE VANGUARD!" (and little did the Head Judge know, everyone would do this each round, which was fantastic for the spirit)

After the cry my opponent and I look at each other's vanguards, he gets demoralized seeing Godhawk, claiming it to be a bad match up for him, and I sympathize and agree seeing Lizard Runner Conroe as his. Field control is less powerful against a deck that is all about resource control like mine. I win the die roll, and I managed to get off the superior ride and set up a nice stack, and ended my turn. He rode Iron Tail dragon, and from his nervousness forgot to move Conroe back. In the end I dont remember much of this game, but from him being obviously new and very nervous I made short work of him, I got off the full ride line with no issues and played otherwise perfectly, and even if he hadnt been on a tilt, I think I would have won.

Round 1 Kagero: victory
1-0

Soon after the Team and I all checked in, and we went forward to our next round. I was up again against Kagero, and still in a great mood from my first victory, some of my confidence was starting to become real confidence, I was thinking I may be able ot get somewhere. On this time I won the die roll again, and I got Crescent Moon Ride (I can't remember if I got the superior or from hand, I apologize) and stuck psychic bird to the soul, drawing into my Half moon , while having Full moon in hand too. With this knowledge I knew against him almost any backer would set my Full Moon to magic numbers, so I dropped Cocoa, scryed a draw trigger and left it. He only got a ride, and had no other helpful units, so I took the damage and drew, I could tell he was getting worried. I got my Half moon ride, soul charged, and I had my six soul. I then got a full field of Silent Tom backed by Gemini (for the magic 16) and Red Eye with Circle Magus (Magic 16 is best) and Half moon with Cocoa. This let me apply more early game pressure than usual, and I had the ulterior motive of drawing the attention of his retire abilities to my Tom, who I could afford to lose, and not to my boosters which I didnt want to lose. The strategy worked, on his turn he dropped out beserk dragon and retired tom, and he dropped a few other Grade 2, and this is when I realized why he seemed so worried. He had no boosters. He retired conroe to get a Barri, fearing my ascent to Grade 3, and then put a draw trigger out to add a bit of power for one of his units. He focused on my vanguard, which I happily let through, even with a critical, so I could hit 4 damage. Come my turn, I dropped out to grade three, set up a replacement for Tom, and I replaced cocoa with cocoa to scry a Critical trigger, that was all I needed to go on the offensive. In the end he barely survived at 5 damage. On his turn I saw the final piece of his bad luck, no grade 3. However even if he had gotten grade 3 I would have won it, between the superior rides saving my hand, and the use of Full Moons skills, I had over 40k shield in hand and I had 2 perfect guards to save myself to next turn, and I had systematically wiped away all his resources with major offensive pushes since turn two (which threw him off farther, especially seeing a OTT deck go offensive)

Round 2 Kagero: Victory
2-0

So after the usual team meeting we quickly got to our next rounds, and this started one of my favorite rounds of the tournament. Upon standing I see Dorangal, and I am pretty certain that I will lose due to the fact that paladins are a rough match up for me. Especially since I prefer the long game.

I miss the grade one, which proves rough for me, and he gets his superior, we start trading blows and it looks bad for me, he has damage advantage and I have a pretty bad field. So I start taking out every unit I possibly can, which helps a lot. However on his third turn he miss rides, leaving him at grade two, giving me some hope. However I am stuck sitting on a 9k Full Moon with only 3 soul. I get off a single red eye attack, and continue to destroy his field, while hitting a little bit at a time.

Fast forward a bit, we have been trading blows, he has gotten out a field of Palomedes vnaguard, and Palomedes rear, both with Toypugal backings, he was applying lots of pressure to my weakened vanguard and weakened rear guard Tsukuyomi. The battle starts looking really bad, as I am stuck with 4 damage. It gets to my turn and I play very risky, riding over my tsukuyomi with another, and calling psychic bird, hitting six soul. I have only one column with a booster, so I am not in a good position. I do the counterblast...and reveal the grade 1, fixing my soul. Then I do it again, sticking CEO into my soul. calling out 2 7k boosters I start up again with a new offense, I have 3 full columns, I can push well. He barely survives, going to 5, and to make it worse, I got a heal.

He makes a last stand, calls alfred, uses its ability to get Marron backing, he attacks rough, but I fend it off taking one damage, however he drive checked double Alfred. Then comes my turn, I use the ability of Full moon to get another card, and then I replace a unit with cocoa, realizing that he has only 2 or 3 potential shields, so I need to finish it this turn, and I scry a critical trigger. With that knowledge I know I can get farther, I call out a tom over Half moon to make that column a perfect game ender, and I attack with Full moon, he decides to let it pass, but I get double critical, and that ends it.

He was a good sport, the battle was back and forth, and I barely made it during the whole game, he was one of my favorite people to play, and god if it wasnt almost his game.

Round 3: Royal Paladin Toolbox - Victory
3-0

And we soon hit round 4, where I learned the full effects of my mood. I go up against Spike Brothers, and make the mistake my first opponent did and start to think badly on myself, since Spike Bros are my worst match up. This small nervousness shows when I lose the die roll, then accidently pick up 6 cards with Tsukuyomi, which he points out and excuses, but I still go even more nervous from that. Combined with a bad hand on my part, and being unable to effectively run over his field and his 11k Juggs, I end up misplaying, bad lucking, and losing that round badly.

Round 4: Spike Bros- Loss
3-1

So I am pretty sure at this point both Scott and I were 3-1, and Stills and Neil were out. So with my mood deflated a bit I head in and I believe this is the point I hit one of my other favorite games, Spectral Duke.

This guy was a riot, he was fun to talk to, and we both had fun. We traded blows, and his grade 2 ride was killer as he brought out Giganatech destroyeer and 7k booster, setting up a good field. Eventually we both missed our grade 2 rides, and were trading destruction of units and damage consistently. On our 4th turns we got off our ride chains, and he started applying lots of pressure with SDD standing effect, while I took out as many units and avoided giving damage were I could to see as little of his effect as possible.

I believe we each got our respective units effect off 3 times, however because I took away all his rear guards, his effects became less powerful , and I saved perfect guards until the last two or three turns I was able to stop all his attacks, sit at 5 damage, and comfortably win.

It was neck and neck the whole time, a total mirror, and the guy I played was pretty cool. Definitely memorable, and beating SDD , the big contender, bumped my mood back up, and I started thinking again, "Whoa...maybe I can do this?"

Round 5: Spectral Duke Dragon-Victory
4-1

So on round 6 I played a royal paladin player, nothing special there. He used teh full galahad line, and I played like I did in round 3, but this kid didnt play near as well as round 3 opponent, and I eventually scryed a crit and did double critical to really secure it. Not very memorable, he misplayed decent amount too. 

Round 6: Royal paladin-Victory
5-1

At this point me and Scott are both really excited, im running solely on Arizona Green tea from Stills, and adreniline, we go in realizing we will probably be at top 8 if we win. 

 I got put up against an obvious Full Moon player, and I was pretty worried, my own deck is a bad match up, but through the fact that the kids near us had played each other, they switch the OTT player (Who was one of the top 4 OTT players, and gave a few ideas that sound really good and I have to try out) and the kid, who ends up being Royal Paladin again. Once again, not near as good as my round 3, he misses ride for g3 (not that it changed much) and eventually rides Cardoc, but the whole time I outplayed and controlled him, and I win in about 7 minutes.

Round 7: Royal Paladin- victory
6-1

(At risk of sounding horrible, I may have reversed last two, but neither were too memorable, and I was insanely exhausted)

Now I start prematurely celebrating , not realizing how the double elimination works, and thinking just winning got me to Top 8. and I was overwhelmingly excited.

After realizing I may not get in, I wait and soon they begin announcing. Moment of truth time.

"C215, Brandon Chmiel"

Holy. Shit. I did it, I didnt expect to get past round 4, and I was there, 8th seed, top 8.

Now, at this point I somehow thought maybe there were not final matches and ranks were just from score, giving seed 1 tournament win from being undefeated (I didnt get double elimination, so I was confused) but part of it was that I was so exhausted and hungry I kinda wanted it to be done. I hadnt eaten from 8-3ish, and dinner had been about 8 the night before, so only some snacks at hotel over 12 hours ago.

But soon the match up begins, and hoo boy was I in trouble.

Quarter Finals: Spectral Duke

Here I am, mentally done, dying of hunger, mood shot (I was too content to be super caring) and then I face down the top seed, and the resulting winner, Brandon B.

And I have to say, he damn well deserves it. He outplayed me bad. He ended up getting stuck on a Gigantech Destroyer Vanguard, and I missrode so I am sitting on a 9k Full moon.

Eventually I get to six soul, and I fix the soul, but it ends up too late, and the fact that in first turn I lost 2 heal triggers, 2 perfect guard, and by next turn was down to one of each, left me pretty bad shape. And with how well he played I succumbed to his constant pressure and huge columns, and was left throughly beaten.

And I loved it. The battle was fun, he played great, and he was an amazing guy. He definitely deserved the win, and if you read this Brandon, it was a blast and congrats!


End results:

After the tournament we all celebrated that I somehow got to the end, nad we went out to get some food before I died. The rest of the time we all hung out, goofed around, watched Cowboy bebop, and it was a damn blast hanging out with two of my best friends and a new friend. It was amazing and besides the horrible traffic, I would not change a single thing.

Pros-
I got top 8. Seriously. Top 8.
I learned a lot about my deck, and became pretty comfortable with it...So I need to change it up some.
I got to meet Stills, see Scott again, and made friends with Young Neil
I met awesome people and had awesome games
I learned a lot of my weaknesses as a player
I had a blast first and foremost
I was known as Straw Hat, that is pretty awesome
The Judge staff was one of the best I have ever seen, and deserve mad respect.
Only once or twice did I gag on smell of the tournament, overall people seemed to believe in hygiene
I unlocked this awesome ship in FTL: Faster than light. It is like a giant crystal war ship. 

Cons-
I need to make time for snacking next time, I almost killed myself.
I didnt get to trade at all, which was a shame
There was one asshole who was just horrible to the judges
Mariott was expensive and couldnt give me free internet or a mini fridge? Bitches
Also, 2.78 for two milk cartoons like you get at school for 50 cents? They are damn lucky Oreos need  milk. 
Bushiroad didnt include deodorant in the goody bags, that would have been great.
Traffic
Chicago's hatred of fresh air
Traffic

Last words


To everyone there, it was a blast, this weekend was insanely memorable, and I want to thank Stills and Scott because they did so much for me just over the weekend, and even more they have been there for me over the last few years, and are two of the best friends I could ever have. Seriously, this was mind blowing, and you guys made it all the better, I dont know if I will ever be able to tell you guys how much you mean to me. 

I want to thank the judge team, seriously, they made it run smooth, were awesome people, and really cool.

To Brandon, you were a great player and deserved the win, and even more when your opponent of round 7 didnt make top 8, you arguing for him was cool of you , and you were incredibly polite and kind about it. That all in all earned every ounce of my respect for you, I hope one day we play again, seriously.

To his opponent? You were reprehensible. I know I should not name call or do things like this, but just because you didnt agree with or understand how the Double Elimination works (not many of us did, myself included) gave you no right to instantly start yelling, insulting, degrading, and treating the Judges (who just did their job) like trash, you were a horrible person during that, and you didnt deserve the top 8. Even if I think you probably should have been in, definitely over me, you didnt deserve it in the least. 

To Bushiroad, for somehow making a best-of-one tournament work well, for running it so well, and for making such a damn fun game.

But for now, that is all, and that is my first report, I apologize how crappy this was, I will try and do better next time. Soon I will also write up a deck report for anyone curious of the deck.
This is Wallace Wells, the Straw Hat OTT player signing off!

2 comments: